Thursday, July 23, 2009

Anyone can make art....kids too.

For three weeks now I have been teaching art, with a group of other Art Ed majors, to kids who are a part of Path Ventures. It's been quite an experience. There were times where I wanted to rip my hair out by the roots and other times where I truly enjoyed myself and the company of kids from a whole other culture. 

They were great kids to work with and I definitely learned a lot from this. These pictures are from the final event that we put together for the community. We made a garden for the families to appreciate and keep for at least a few weeks but the kids wanted to take their flags home and stepping stones. It looked fantastic for about 30 minutes....oh well. 

It felt really good to make sure that these kids were introduced to art and see how art can affect their lives. Most of these kids have no idea what good art is and what they are truly capable of. It was a powerful experience for me and I hope that it was for the students as well.

The FABULOUS group of ladies I taught with. I think we did pretty damn good for I first real experience of teaching. Taken on our first day of class.... we had NO IDEA what we were in for. 

Me, teaching.


Some of work that the kids completed. 
Circle Painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment